Andrew Belt, the creator of VCV Rack, has announced that VCV Rack 2 is now available after two years of development.
The popular virtual Eurorack modular synthesizer VCV Rack 2 gets a huge upgrade. More than 100 new features are included in the upgrade, including the ability to utilize Rack 2 as a plugin within your DAW.
VCV Rack is meant to provide modular synthesis flexibility without the cost of a hardware solution.
What’s new in VCV Rack 2 is as follows:
- The room brightness may be adjusted in the darkroom mode.
- Module choices for saving, sharing, editing, and moving around module selections. (A new. vcvs selection format has been added.)
- Zoom, favorite, and sort your module library using the enhanced module browser.
- The user interface has been redesigned, as well as the built-in modules.
- Patch cable control is made easier with port tooltips, context menus, and key commands.
- Multiple audio interface compatibility (if supported by manufacturers’ drivers) has been added to the real-time engine.
- To fine-tune your module collection, add/remove specific modules from the VCV Library.
For complete connection with your DAW, VCV Rack 2 Pro also contains a VST plugin:
- Patches are saved within your DAW project.
- Plugin for creating instruments and effects.
- There are up to 16 audio input/output channels available.
- Rack is an effect plugin that may be used to process vocals, guitar, and other sounds.
- With 8 stereo (or 16 mono) outputs, Perform Rack may be used as an instrument plugin.
- Using the 8 stereo (or 16 mono) “sidechain” inputs, send recorded or live DAW tracks straight into Rack.
- There are 16 MIDI input/output channels in total.
- Rack’s sequencer modules may be used to generate MIDI for other DAW tracks.
- With MIDI clips in your DAW, you may record and play back notes, gates, and CV.
- You may record, listen back, and edit your modular performance by automating up to 1024 knobs, sliders, and buttons in your patch.
- With negligible processing overhead, several instances may be created.
- When exporting your project mixdown or pre-rendering tracks, you can use offline rendering.
- The plugin window can be resized.
VCV Rack 2 is currently available.
Free (open-source): Standalone program
Pro ($149 usual pricing, $99 till 2022): Standalone, VST2, and more plugin formats are on the way.
A package comprising Rack 2 Pro + VCV Drums + VCV Sound Stage is also offered for $139 until 2022, with a typical price of $209.