Rhodes has released the first photographs and video of the MK8 electric piano, a much-anticipated reincarnation of the legendary instrument that was initially revealed in July.
They’ve also released a detailed set of technical specs, which builds on the previously revealed analog effects section, inbuilt preamp, three-band EQ, and Kluge Klaviature keyboard, offering greater details on the keyboard’s action, pickups, vari-pan, and much more.
Rhodes has stated that their whole website will be available to everyone who has signed up for their newsletter by Monday, November 1st. The property will be open to the public on December 1st.
Rhodes MK8 specifications
- Tone Generation: Rhodes Custom Precision Steel Tines and Tonebars.
Tine and pickup rails made from sustainably sourced Baltic birch.
- Promotion: Rhodes Custom high impact black ABS hammers with built-in lubrication. Rhodes new design with a uniform height for four-zone hammer tips. Rhodes Custom Aerospace damper combs (bass, mids and treble). Rhodes Custom black wool damper felts.
- Keyboard: 73-part (E8E80) Rhodes Custom spruce keyboard from Kluge Klaviaturen GmbH, key frame made of oak and beech.
- Pickups: Rhodes custom precision-wound Alnico pickups with anti-slip adjustment for precise voicing and flattened pickup heads for precise volume adjustment.
- Effect option: Rhodes custom precision-wound alnico pickups with anti-slip adjustment for precise voicing and flat-ended pickup heads for precise volume adjustment.
- Front panel and rear grille: black / silver anodized aluminum.
- UI panels: Brushed aluminum foil. Black with silver lettering or silver with black lettering.
- Left connection panel: 2x balanced XLR outputs (L / R), 2x 1/4 ” jack outputs (L / R).
1x 1/4 ” jack send, 1x 1/4 ” return. Direct pickup-out via send socket (can be operated next to the main outputs). 1x 6.3 mm headphone socket on the left cheek block with independent volume control for the headphones.
- Right connection field: USB (reserved for future firmware updates). Expression control input jacks 1 and 2.
- Power supply: 15 volt, 4-pin, lockable XLR supply with universal voltage.
- Analog preamplifier section: Analog signal path from the pickup rail to the output. Volume, drive, envelope (auto-wah) controls.
- Analog EQ section: Active EQ (low, medium, high, +/- 15dB). Voltage-controlled mid-filter frequency control, accessible via envelope and / or expression pedals, for real analog wah effects and keyboard-controlled slow-phase effects.
- Vari-Pan: Rhodes custom vari-pan circuit with rate and depth controls. Four waveforms to choose from (square / cat’s eye, up ramp, triangle, sine). LFOs can be operated at audio rates and offer everything from classic Rhodes stereo panning to modulated soundscapes and polyphonic synthesizer-like layers. Use the bass slider to mix between dry Rhodes signals and audio rate modulation effects.
- Stand: Rhodes Custom telescopic tripod made of polished steel in robust powder-coated black or classic high-gloss polished chrome. Height-adjustable front legs. Can be packed compactly for transport.
- Lid: ABS black, special colors.
- Housing: Light ply case with Tolex, aluminum base plate, option made of solid walnut.
- Sustain pedal: Rhodes custom twist lock piano connection with flexi cable. Access to adjustment of the damper mechanism via the rear emblem. Chrome base plate. Aluminum shell. Rhodes folding anti-slip rubber protection mat. Standard matt black, special colors to match the lid.
- Assignable pedal controls: volume, center frequency (wah), both (pedal 1). Pan rate, pan depth, both (Pedal 2). Phaser rate, chorus rate (Pedal 1, FX version). Delay time, delay feedback (Pedal 2, FX version).
- Weight and Dimensions (approx): 75lbs / 34kg. 1153 (W) x 563 (D) x 225 (H).